MaxForLive, PART II:
Sounds Synthesis and audio effects.
Within the possibilities of
MaxForLive this workshop will focus on different techniques of audio creation and
synthesis. The goal is to create our very own polyphonic synthesizer and/or audio-effect.
MaxForLive – the implementation of the graphical programming environment Max (formerly also named Max/MSP/Jitter:
www.cycling74.com) - becomes truly fun when it starts to sound good! It allows you to create your very own,
In order to achieve this some knowledge in creating Max-Patches as well as knowledge from the field of sound synthesis is
This workshop will go deeper into the most common technologies of sound synthesis and how they can be used to build a
polyphonic instrument for Ableton Live. Besides this we will take a look into some techniques that can make the sound of our instrument richer and more versatile.
The workshop addresses people who have already some experiences with Max or MaxForLive, especially in the use of Max data handling, UI-Elements (Slider, Buttons etc.) and working with MIDI. (Interested beginners will find all of this content within the workshop
"MaxForLive I –
Introduction"). This workshop will explore the domain of digital
audio creation and signal processing within MaxForLive.
The workshop will cover the following topics:
• Introduction to digital signal processing: How is sound created in the real world and how is that represented inside a
• Different type of oscillators and what they are good for.
• Signal Modulation: How to transform a signal from one shape into another.
• Using LFO (Low Frequency Oscillators) to control and modify
• Introduction to additive and vector synthesis and to realize them inside MaxForLive
• Introduction to subtractive synthesis and how to realize it inside MaxForLive: The theory and practice of filters such as Hipass, Lowpass and Bandpass filters, Filters of different orders, “classic” filter types, FIR and IIR Filters.
• Using filters to create different timbres and simulating different resonant bodies (i.e. wood, metal, glass)
• Using control envelops to shape the sound.
• Amplitude modification, frequency modification, arithmetical operation on signals
• Amplitude and frequency-modulation, ring-modulation, creating sidebands
• Wavetable Synthesis
• A brief introduction to the theory and practice of granular
Planning and building the
• Identifying the functional parts and how to separate
• Realizing polyphony with MaxForLive
• Finding relevant parameter that should be modifiable in the user
• Some tips and tricks to make the sound more
• Tips and tricks how to organize a lager MaxForLive device/patch not to loose the
- El número máximo de alumnos es de 12 personas. / -
The maximum number of students
- The participants need to bring a laptop/computer (Mac or PC) with Ableton Live and Max For Live installed ont
idioma principal del taller es el inglés. / - The
main language of the workshop is
Fechas & horarios / Dates & timesVIERNES
23 de NOVIEMBRE: de 18:00 a 22:00 h
SÁBADO 24 de NOVIEMBRE: de 10:00 a 18:00 h (descanso
de 14:00 a 15:00 h)
DOMINGO 25 de NOVIEMBRE: de 11:00 a 15:00 h
90 EUROS. OFERTA: TALLER
PARTE I + TALLER PARTE II
-> 150 EUROS.
Plazo de inscripción
Hasta el 21 de NOVIEMBRE
información contacta con Niu en el 93 356 88 11 o vía